Sunday, January 22, 2006

I feel



I feel therefore I am.
I feel strongly that Descartes got it wrong. He worked hard at doubting. He attempted to doubt all that he could. But he could not doubt reason. His thought became the proof of his existence. Thought was a reality that gave substance to who he was. His sense of self identity flows from it.

I am no Descartes expert. But I wonder in his reasoning if he stopped feeling. Did he doubt feeling? When he worded Cogito ergo sum was there a sense of accomplishment, a sense of exhiliration? If fact why did he write about it at all. As we know writers write for others (despite their disclaimers). Did it fulfill the felt need for recognition? In all his doubting perhaps he reasoned that thought was all and he was able to put it into a catchy, phrase. I bet he felt pretty good about that.

I feel therefore I am.
Its not that I doubt reason. But I don't trust it. I've been burned by reason. I've laughed at the constant proofs and disproofs of science. I've seen reasonable arguments used to rationalize the worst kinds of injustice. And I love physics. It has a beauty, a super-rationality that is beyond reason. Quantum mechanics feels right though my mind rebels against it.

I suspect our affections a much larger role in our sense of self identity. I feel. I have affections. I weep, laugh, moan, cry, despair, grieve, smile, enjoy, take pleasure, sense, and generally have emotions in a great and endless variety and intensity. These emotions play a huge role in being. Even feeling bad is better than not feeling at all. I have no doubt than even Descartes was impelled and motivated by more te reason. I cannot claim to know the secrets of his heart. But I know there were secrets there. He was moved not just by reason, but by something else as well.

I feel therefore I am.
I even feel God (I think).

1 Comments:

Blogger aka.alias said...

Further to your post ...
I recently attended a lecture on infinity and got a laugh there because the lecturer was telling us about Xeno's paradox. Then he told us about a scientist in the 30's who worked diligently until he proved that it could not be disproved. Next he acquainted the audience with a scientist from the 60's who worked diligently until he had proven that it could not be proved.
???
"the proofs of science"

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home